Wednesday, 25 July 2012

Cascade Locks, OR


I've added a stop at Cascade Locks to take up the day that I gained by riding a double stage into Clarkston last week. This puts me back on track to reach Astoria on Sunday. I'll have time to ride on to Seaside on Monday before turning back to Portland. Astoria is an official endpoint of the ACA TransAmerica Trail and Seaside of the ACA Lewis & Clark Trail.

This made for a very short day today, just 32 km of which half was on the interstate highway. Whitecaps were on the river from the start, something the windsurfers had watched for in vain yesterday. There was one hill, after I left the I-84. It was steep enough for me to drop down to gear 4.

Bridge of the Gods, Cascade Locks
The Pacific Crest Trail crosses the Columbia River at Cascade Locks. The trail's lowest elevation is on the bridge.

Total distance cycled this week, with its two rest days and three short days, is a paltry 339 km. That is, however, enough to bring my total for the whole trip so far over the six thousand km mark to 6,200 km.



View Week Eleven in a larger map

1 comment:

  1. Will be away for a few days so will probably miss your final notes.

    Congrats on a fantastic ride.

    Cheers from an overcast and slightly damp Canberra

    ReplyDelete