Thursday, 19 July 2012

Rest day in Walla Walla


As far as I know, there is no connection between this city (pop. 32,000) and the motor boats of the same name that used to ply Hong Kong harbour. Celebrating 150 years since its incorporation in 1862, the city is most obviously a centre of the wine industry and wine tourism. A brochure lists 23 venues for wine tasting in downtown Walla Walla. Every second shopfront appears to have a connection with wine.

I spent some time at Allegro Cyclery on Main Street, where I was helped by Justin, an Australian citizen and long-term US resident. I lost the rubber foot from my bike's kickstand a couple of weeks ago and he found me a replacement. He also kindly allowed me to watch (a repeat of) the finish of the final mountain stage in the Tour de France on the shop's large television.

Justin
When I leave here tomorrow, I will be heading for the Columbia River, downstream from its confluence with the Snake, and shortly afterwards should enter Oregon. From that point onwards, the Columbia forms the boundary between the states of Washington on its right, north bank and Oregon on its left, south bank. I will be following the river westward to the Pacific Ocean. I can choose to cycle on either bank and after overnighting in Oregon intend to cross to the Washington side for a couple of days.

My visit last week to the Adventure Cycling headquarters in Missoula, MT has resulted in a charming post on the ACA blog.

2 comments:

  1. Due to that post on ACA's blog, I found your blog. I'm now caught up reading it from when you started. It's been a good and informative read. Enjoy the remainder of your ride. I did the Lewis and Clark section from Hood River, OR over to the Washington side at Cascade Locks last summer as a detour of the Sierra Cascades route I had ridden from San Diego back to my home in Olympia, WA (Elk Pass was still closed due to snow).

    ReplyDelete
  2. Very kind Alasdair! It was my pleasure, both the coffee and writing the blog post.

    And Colleen, yea, I'm glad the post inspired you to check out Alasdairs blog. I have read your blog off and over the last year or so. You are an active tourer for sure. =)

    Enjoy the last days of your trip, Alasdair!

    Best, .Jenn.

    ReplyDelete