Friday, 20 July 2012

Umatilla, OR

Breakfast place in Walla Walla
I'd been cycling for a couple of hours this morning when a regular clicking sound started. It was present whether or not I was turning the pedals. I investigated and after initial lack of success – due to my mistaken belief that the problem lay with the front wheel – found a 3 cm nail in the rear tyre. It had entered the base of the tyre, gone right through, and come out the side. I pulled it free, expecting to hear a hiss of escaping air, but the inner tube was intact.

Looking across the Columbia to Washington state
After riding west on US 12 for nearly 50 km, I came to the Columbia River and turned to follow it south-west on US 730. The river runs through a gorge not a valley. Treeless slopes rise up on both banks. The road and railway run along the water's edge. The wind was coming at me from the south-west and slowed me down, but fortunately it was nothing like as strong this morning as it often is here – the wind turbines were rotating only lazily – and I welcomed its cooling effect.

I've made it to Oregon
After a further 10 km I came to the state line and entered Oregon, my eleventh and last state. Immediately the shoulder narrowed from about 1.5 m to 50 cm. As I continued it widened and contracted periodically. Often it was narrower than is comfortable when heavy trucks and trailers are travelling in the adjacent lane.

I reached Umatilla (first syllable pronounced You), my staging post for the day, after 90 km. My motel and another across the road are sandwiched between two 'gentlemen's clubs', the first I have come across on this trip. I'm told it's possible to get a meal without being exposed to exotic dancers. I will find out later whether this is true.

1 comment:

  1. Just caught up after another Melb visit. Congrats on reaching your final state. Great achievement. Your pelican shot was nice but can't wait to see your dinner pics. Ride safely.

    ReplyDelete